- Structure > Taxonomy.
- Taxonomy Terms are grouped into containers called Vocabularies.
- Vocabularies appear in a three-column table showing Vocabulary Name, Description (if entered), and Operations.
Per Digital Solutions policy, Web Managers cannot create new Vocabularies. All associated Vocabularies have been appropriately assigned to content types. However, Web Managers can manage Terms (add, reorganize, delete) within existing Vocabularies.
Think of Vocabularies and Terms as having Parent/Child Relationships.
- The Vocabulary is the parent and Terms are the children. For example, a vocabulary called Fruit might contain the terms Apple and Banana.
To view Terms in a Vocabulary (Blog Category, for example):
- Click the List Terms button under Operations, to the right of the Vocabulary name.
- The Terms list appears in alphabetical order (unless manually grouped otherwise).
To add a Term to a Vocabulary:
- Click Add Terms under Operations, to the right of the Vocabulary Name.
- Click + Add Term on the Terms page for the Vocabulary.
Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required.
- Name — Enter a name for the Term.
- Description — Enter a description for the Term, if desired.
- Leave Generate Automatic URL Alias checked.
- Uncheck to specify an alternative path.
- Note: It is not a normal practice to create an alternate path for Terms, as it may return untended results when creating Views.
- Leave Published checked.
- Click Save.
To edit a Term:
- Click Edit under Operations, to the right of the Term Name.
- Make desired changes to the Name, Description, or other fields.
- Click Save.
To delete a Term:
- Click Delete under Operations, to the right of the Term Name.
- Click Delete on the Terms page for the Vocabulary.
Flat Taxonomy features parallel Terms, with no Parent/Child Relationships.
Flat Taxonomy is appropriate for most Vocabularies.
Hierarchical Taxonomy features Terms with Parent/Child Relationships.
Berries — (Parent Term)
- Blackberry — (Child Term)
- Blueberry — (Child Term)
- Raspberry — (Child Term)
Create Parent/Child Relationships for Terms
Parent/Child Relationships for Terms can be created in two (2) ways.
Grab and Slide Method:
On the Terms List, place the mouse cursor over the Drag to Re-Order icon, to the left of the desired child Term.
Click-and-hold to grab the Term entry and move it below the desired parent Term.
When the Term is in place, grab and slide to the right to create a child relationship to the parent Term above.
Child Terms appear indented below the parent Term.
Edit Menu Method:
To create Parent/Child Relationships via the Parent Terms menu:
Edit the Term (in this example, Blackberry).
In the Parent Terms menu, select the appropriate Parent Term (in this example, Berries).
Terms appear as Children in the Parent Terms menu.
- Terms are displayed in ascending order by Weight value.
Reset to Alphabetical
To revert to alphabetical order:
- Click Reset to Alphabetical.
- Avoid resetting if Parent/Child Relationship exists.